Sunday, November 15, 2009

Whatever happened to a thing called manners???

For some reason I have really been pondering this question lately. It seems as though no one possesses this rare quality anymore. We as parents need to be teaching our children this strange concept called "manners." I can't believe how many people don't have a common knowledge of this. For example: If you are walking through a door, and there is someone RIGHT behind you, do you hold the door open for that person to enter or simply let the door slam in that person's face? I see this happening more and more. The answer seems easy to me. There used to be time when a man would hold a door open for a woman - even if they didn't know them. What has happened? Do we really have so many feminists now that have put this message out there that "we can do things by ourselves" and we don't need these things? Well I think that is crap. My husband still holds doors for me or any other woman and we teach our boys to go up and open doors for women. A little common courtesy goes a long way. And whatever happened to saying "please and thank you?" Has it become taboo to use these phrases now? I cannot believe how many people don't do this, especially kids. Why are parents not teaching their kids to use good manners, be grateful for what you have, share with others, be kind? If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would love to hear them.

1 comment: